Friday, April 22, 2005

Sedation in Cheesy Clothing

This morning started off rotten. Poor Ethan had one of his worst mornings in a while. I got breakfast into him relatively well (considering most "bad" mornings, he gags and tries to throw it up in protest). But then he whined and cried on and off for what seemed like forever. I gave him some pain meds, changed his position (which only seemed to anger him MORE) and nothing worked. Finally, he fell asleep while rocking in the recliner.

Once I decided he was really settled, I snuck out to come to work. All the while CG held his arms up for me to pick him up and whined that I am a bad mother who never spends any quality time with him.

Or at least, that's what I translated "uhhhh-huhhhhh" into.

Of course, I could have put money on the fact that it would be a bad morning. I have to leave early today to go to my company's other campus. I was really hoping to get in here as early as possible so I could just head home afterwards. And instead, I got here later than I have all week.

Just so I can turn around and leave in 2 hours. Sigh.

My bad morning did turn around slightly, though. Two things intervened:

  1. Music

    I caught The Tide is High by Blondie on the way in, and I just had to sing. Belting out a song in my car always makes me feel a little bit better. And of course, I kept the windows rolled up so I wouldn't get arrested for noise pollution.

    I also happened upon Counting Crows' Round Here, which is a rarity in this area. Local radio stations don't really care for them, except to play that Big Yellow Taxi remake. It's a shame, because they have a lot of great music. (Although I'm biased since I love them.) Anyway, Adam always makes me feel better, and that song is from my favorite album of all time. So I enjoyed the diversion.


  2. Food

    I stopped at Panera on my way back to work and picked up lunch, since I knew I wasn't going to get back until close to noon. And it was so. so. yummy. And it really made me feel better.

    Why is it that food has that kind of power over me? There is nothing like a warm, cheesy sandwich, with bread that is crispy and chewy all at the same time. To top it off, I had a chocolate chip cookie that was divine. That is the holy trinity of food for me - cheese, bread and chocolate.

    And I wonder why I'm so damn fat.
I am trying to look on the bright side and relax. As my sister pointed out, at least I was getting out of the house. Which is sad, but true - I really can't wait to come to work most days for that very reason.

Anyway, my chair is comfy, I'm leaving in 2 hours, and the office is quiet while everyone is at lunch. It's a gorgeous spring Friday. That's good enough for now. I'm deciding to be happy. That's all there is to it.

No comments: