Saturday, August 20, 2005

Miss Hypocrisy 2005

Thursday afternoon, conversation with my co-worker:

C: Mete, I have No. Life.

M: Why not?

C: Because. I'm always here.

M: Well, why don't you get out of here then? Go out. Have a life.

C: That's easy to say. But I can't. My job doesn't allow it.

M: You have to remember - this place doesn't give a shit about you. You could drop dead at your desk tomorrow, and you'd be forgotten in about a week.

C: (silence)

I don't think she took it too well. The truth hurts.

Which makes me wonder - what was I doing sitting at my desk on a Friday night? Working on a report for a Monday morning meeting? Until 7:48 PM? Hmmmm?

Good thing she wasn't around to notice. I might have lost some credibility.

3 comments:

Tina M said...

I don't have a normal 9 to 5 job since I work for my father-in-law. It's more like a 24/7 job. How can a company expect you to work all those after hours? I don't think I would want to work for a place that didn't appreciate my efforts.

Mete said...

Well, to be honest, no one MADE me work that late. I could have said, "Can't be done!" and left like a normal person. I did it out of my own crazy sense of loyalty. Being the Good Girl is a tough job.

And, of course, I wanted to save myself extra stress on a Monday morning.

KGrams said...

I'm with you on this one Mete, I do the same thing. It's not like I'm told I have to stay and finish a project. We do what we have to (no matter it it's work or home) for our own sense of loyalty as well as accomplishment.